Glaucoma has virtually no symptoms.
Glaucoma is known as the silent thief of sight.
Facts about glaucoma:
• Glaucoma is the #1 cause of preventable blindness.
• It’s estimated only half of people with glaucoma know they have it.
• Diagnostic testing is the only way to detect glaucoma.
• There is no cure and vision lost to glaucoma cannot be regained.
• Early detection and treatment can prevent or minimize vision loss.
• Everyone is at risk for glaucoma from babies to seniors.
• High-risk groups include: people over 60, those with a family history of glaucoma, African Americans.
• New benchmarks for patients with early signs of glaucoma stipulate that a visual field exam be performed every 3 months for 12 months.
• If glaucoma is diagnosed, Dr. Tabak can treat and manage glaucoma to stabilize the disease and help prevent vision loss.