Lightning McQueen wants to remind you that it’s time to schedule back-to-school eye exams!
80% of what’s learned in school is presented visually so good vision is essential for students to reach their full academic potential. In addition to testing visual acuity, a comprehensive eye exam tests all skills critical for effective reading and learning:
• Visual acuity – not just at distance but also intermediate range (computer) and near point (reading).
• Eye focusing – the ability to maintain clear vision as the distance between objects change…when looking from a paper on the desk, up to the chalkboard, and back again.
• Eye tracking – the ability to keep the eyes on target when looking from one object to another…when moving eyes along a printed page or following a moving object like a thrown ball.
• Eye teaming – the ability to coordinate and use both eyes together…when reading or judging distance and depth.
• Visual perception – the ability to organize images on a printed page into letters and words thereby understanding and remembering the information.
A student is at a disadvantage if any of these visual skills are impaired. Annual eye exams are an important part every child’s overall health and wellness care.