- Each year, 1 in 3 people over age 65 are treated in emergency rooms for fall injuries.
- Falls are the leading cause of death from injury among people over 65.
- The most profound effect of falling is the loss of functioning associated with independent living.
Why are older adults likely to fall?
- Loss of muscle strength and flexibility
- Poor balance and slow reaction time
- Vision problems
How does good vision help prevent falls?
- Helps with maintaining balance and depth perception
- Helps with avoiding fall-inducing obstacles
- Helps with managing stairs safely
- Helps with navigating well while walking or performing everyday tasks