Glaucoma has virtually no symptoms.
Glaucoma is known as the silent thief of sight.
Facts about glaucoma:
- Glaucoma is the #1 cause of preventable blindness
- More than 3 million Americans have glaucoma, half of them don’t know it
- Diagnostic testing is the only way to detect glaucoma
- There is no cure and vision lost to glaucoma cannot be regained
- Early detection and treatment can prevent or minimize vision loss
- Everyone is at risk from babies to seniors
- High-risk groups include: people over 60, those with a family history, Hispanics and African Americans
- New benchmarks for patients with early signs of glaucoma stipulate that a visual field exam be performed every 3 months for 12 months
- If glaucoma is diagnosed, Dr. Tabak can treat and manage glaucoma to stabilize the disease and help prevent vision loss
Genetic studies have suggested that more than 50% of glaucoma is familial. For more information on glaucoma and heredity, go to: https://www.glaucoma.org/glaucoma/glaucoma-risk-increases-in-families-spread-the-word.php