• More common in women than men are: glaucoma, cataracts, age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and dry eye
• Two thirds of individuals who are blind or going blind are women.
• Almost 80% of conditions leading to visual impairment are preventable or treatable
Steps Women Can Take to Help Maintain Healthy Eyes and Vision:
• Live a healthy lifestyle: maintain a good weight, don’t smoke, eat a diet rich in green leafy vegetable and fleshy fish, protect eyes from the sun
• Know your family’s health history and risk factors. Glaucoma, AMD, and other eye diseases may be hereditary. The earlier these conditions are detected, the sooner they can be treated to reduce the chance of vision loss.
• Have annual comprehensive eye exams and discuss your general health and family health history with Dr. Tabak. Call 847-382-2020 to schedule an appointment.
More information on women’s eye health at: http://www.w-e-h.org/